the recent past and said that you'd have loved
to have covered this particular story earlier...
well, now you'll have your chance on Wednesday
Mieux vaut tard que jamais.
Reminder: Next Wednesday, April 7th, is the
day that the Johnson Street RFP goes before
the Hollywood City Commission and the
commissioners finally get to pose questions to
the presenting teams, and vote for one team,
vote for both teams to proceed, or vote to start
According to the City Manager's office, whom I
spoke to earlier today, their tentative schedule
is to have the regular City Commission meeting
at 1 p.m., the CRA meeting at 4 p.m. and their
combined CRA/City Commission meeting at 5 p.m.,
which is when the Johnson Street proposals
will come up.
I expect to have pared my video of the past
Johnson Street meetings down to the best
parts I recorded since last year and up on
the blog and YouTube page by this weekend,
so you might want to swing by and see what's there.
By the way, for those of you who don't know,
the DUO, pictured below, is located south of the
Diplomat Golf Course in HB and next to the
already commercially-zoned parcel the
Plumbers and Pipe Fitters Union already
owns that neighborhood residents can live with,
just as they are also okay with a new upscale
500-room hotel to replace the existing 60-room
building and a new adjoining small retail complex
to it, located in the center of the golf course.
We all genuinely wish they'd manage and market
the golf course better than they currently do,
so that more people would use it, but we don't
have any control over that.
It doesn't help, however, that they seem
completely disinclined to actually listen to
the honest criticism of the course by avid
golfers in the area, real consumers, as if the
self-evident problems will somehow resolve
What the community and nearby Hollywood
residents oppose is the Diplomat's owner
proposal to build 4-5 more of these incompatible
out-of-scale condo towers in a single-family
residential neighborhood, on secondary roads,
and threatening the future of the golf course
if they do not get their way with the condos.
We will not let their threats and bluffs
Below, depiction of a Diplomat condo tower on Atlantic Shores Blvd.,
looking SE towards the Intracoastal and the Atlantic Ocean.
From: Csaba Kulin
Date: Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Subject: N.E. Quadrant Meeting
from Csaba Kulin
to Commissioner Anthony Sanders
date Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM
subject Broward County Commission Second Meeting on the Diplomat LAC
- Broward Coalition - President Charlotte Greenbarg
- Fairways Coalition Members
- Fairways South, Inc. President Michel LaPalme and Residents
- Fairways Inc. President Colin Edwards and Residents
- Fairways North, Inc. Board of Directors and Residents
- Seventeenth Green, Hon. Don Boudria, P.C.
- The Hemispheres President Julian Axelrod
- United Condominium Association of Hallandale Beach President Louis Parades
- Hollywood Lakes Section Civic Association President Terry Cantrell
- Hallandale Beach Vice Mayor Bill Julian
- Hallandale Beach Commissioner Keith London
- Dave Smith
- Catherine Kim Owens
- Former Hallandale Beach Mayor Sonny Rosenberg
- Drs. Bob and Judy Selz
- Golden Condo Association President Beverly Carawan
- Venetian Park Condo Association David Chizen
- And many, many others with their e-mail, phone calls and going the meetings.